A few tips to keep yourself on track while you’re attending summer parties, BBQ’s, graduation celebrations and more.
1. Don’t drink empty calories. Keep the soda, beer and other alcohol to a minimum. Research shows that even diet soda has detrimental effects.
2. Remember that you don’t have to stuff yourself! Do you need that bun to enjoy that burger?
3. Drink water. Keep your body hydrated and flush some of the sodium, sugar, etc., out. Drink at least 8 oz of water in between each alcoholic drink and before and after that meal. Water is beneficial to us in so many ways.
4. Replace salads that are heavy with dressings, with grilled vegetables instead. Grilled zucchini, eggplant, peppers, even grilled carrots and broccoli stalks take on a whole new taste! Lightly coat (not slather) with olive oil and place on the grill for a few minutes. Use a sprinkling of garlic power, instead of salt
5. Potato salad, macaroni salad, coleslaw…these are all calorie laden foods. If you must indulge, can you be happy with a bite or two, instead of that large scoop?
6. Desserts…cookies, cakes, pies, cupcakes, ice cream. Talk about sugar overload! Pick the one that is your most favorite and as I refer to it “heaven in my mouth” and enjoy that. You don’t have to eat every single dessert out there. Choose the one that you absolutely love the most and have a bite, savor the flavor and then walk away.
I know you can do this, it’s all how you think about it. Change the way you think about food and you’ll be on your way to success!
That’s just a small list of things you can do over the weekend. Be conscious of your food intake and remember that you do not have to eat everything out there, even if you’re at a friend or family members party. Be satisfied with a few bites and don’t let anyone guilt you into eating more than you want to.